Friday, March 6, 2009

Hubris and Addie Greene

The Post is reporting on Addie Green's resignation, quoting her saying, ""I have always said that if I cannot do the job at the right level of service I would step aside." This is a noble statement, but it doesn't line up with what Ms. Greene is said to have known about her ability to operate at that level:

Greene, a breast cancer survivor, said she's now seeing seven doctors for ailments that include bad knees and her history of cancer.
One doctor warned her not to run for reelection last year, she said.


Are we supposed to believe that she didn't know that she wouldn't meet her own standards? Regardless of the expectations she has for herself, Greene actually says of the idea of having a political opponent during an election, "It annoyed me...I'll leave when I want to."


Look, my intention is not to mindlessly bash Ms. Greene. Furthermore, I believe that she is right to demand African-American representation on the County Commission. But, she ran against and defeated an African-American politician on her way to this resignation. And now, she needs to implore a white politician to redress that. Because she felt annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment